
One of the main drivers for my decision to visit Vietnam during this month was that it would coincide nicely with the around-the-world itinerary of my dear friends Sarah and Tyler. They are in the enviable position of taking 7 months off to travel around the world. Their adventures thus far have been meticulously chronicled in their excellent travel blog Strange and Benevolent. We decided to meet up in Nha Trang which is also the completely hedonistic segment of my 2-month Asia tour. Nha Trang is Vietnam's beach town and it reminds me alot of Hawaii. It is truly beautiful with its clear blue waters, offshore islands and surrounding lush hills. The only downside it is has been very rainy but I've still managed to get in decent beach time.
It was so great to catch up with Sarah and Tyler although I feel as though I've almost been on their trip with them by following their fun blog posts. They are nearing the mid-point of their trip so they had many fun stories and insights to share. They are a rare and darling couple and I am so happy and inspired to see them living out their dreams together.
Sunday was Sarah's birthday and we decided to spend the day at Thap Ba Hot Springs.
Similar to many of the activities I've experienced thus far in Vietnam, the springs had a bit of a process to them. It felt like a human car wash where we first intentionally get as filthy as possible. First step in the process, we started by soaking in a big vat of mud - an experience none of us had tried before but happily jumped in. The mud felt great and it was warm and milky. It is said that mineral mud stimulates the nerves under the skin. We delighted in smearing it all over ourselves while Tyler was the most carefree by dipping his head in as well which created a lovely mud mohawk in his hair.
Second step: we quickly rinsed ourselves off and were instructed to stand in the middle of 2 rock walls for a high-pressure wash.
We like the high-pressure wash!!
Third step: go soak in a hot tub which was similar in shape to the mud tub but filled with steaming hot (40 deg C) mineral water.
Fourth step: stand underneath a mini-waterfall.
Fifth step: jump in for a swim in a large pool of hot mineral water.
Next, Tyler wanted to get a massage to relieve the pent up tension in his back so Sarah and I gladly decided to join him. The Vietnamese massage is very different than the massages I get at home. The masseuse is generally very very petite as most Vietnamese women are - so petite that at a mere 5'4" I actually feel tall here. Sarah and I were in the same room together and her masseuse busted out into song singing along with the traditional music piping into our room. It took everything in me to hold myself together and I only let out 2 shudders of laughter without going into my infamous uncontrollable giggle fits. Our masseuses sat on us, walked on us, cracked our necks and pounded on our heads which may not sound pleasant but actually felt great. Not bad for only 70,000 dong ($4).
After getting pampered at the Springs, we headed back to quickly shower before more pampering at my hotel spa where I treated Sarah to a birthday pedicure.
We all thoroughly enjoyed Sarah's birthday!
Cooking meat and veggies at our table for Sarah's birthday dinner:
Stopping for dessert at the boulangerie:
1 comment:
oh man, alison! how did i miss *this* when i went through Vietnam?? i'm so jealous...
glad you're having a great time!
suj'n
Post a Comment