Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Finally Learning Korean!

Having been raised in English speaking countries my whole life, I unfortunately did not have the ambition to learn Korean or any other language for that matter. However as I matured in my cultural awareness, I did proceed to learn a bit of French. Now, I have finally developed the interest to advance my Korean baby talk and my dad has spent some time this week teaching me the Korean alphabet.

The Korean alphabet or Han Gul is actually very simple. One can learn the basics in just a few minutes. The alphabet was invented in 1443 during the reign of the Great King Sejong. There are 14 basic consonants and 10 basic vowels. Letters that have similar sounds also have similar shapes, so it is easy to learn.

I've been having fun developing little mneumonics to help me remember what sound each character makes. Like voila:
ㅈthe headless Jogger
ㅎthe man in the Hat
ㅂthe cute Bunny
I know, it's so pedestrian but I am so pleased with myself for being able to sound out words now! Yay, Gold Star!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That's great! And maybe it will help in other countries?? (I can wish...)

Anonymous said...

It is exciting! Alison, I am so happy for you! Next time when we meet, let's speak Korean!!

Sean said...

It's so good!
안 녕 하 세 요
Ahn Nyung Ha Sa Yo

Unknown said...

That is fantastic, and what a wonderful way to learn; from your own father while visiting in Korea!